What we've discussed

Friday, May 31, 2013

Pineapple Recommends

I saw a commercial for Reelz Recommends and thought 'hey, I can do that'.

We read a lot and watch a lot of movies.  The thing is, while he is a little cliche and likes action and comic book movies (I like them, too, just not as much), I don't often go for the romantic comedy chick flicks.  What we watch commonly are independent, foreign, and other non-blockbuster hopefuls.

Generally, when talking to a friend, I get to know things they like and then make recommendations based on that.  Most of the time I think I do pretty well because they don't often come back and say they hated it.  It has happened, but pretty rare.

Not that anyone is even reading this blog, but I am not going to play it safe.  I don't know you, your threshhold for sex and violence, or your personal tastes, but for the sake of saying "I think these things are really, really cool!"  I'm going to recommend just one book and one movie a month.  Once in a while I'll throw in a show that's easily obtained on Netflix, etc.  Also note, when I refer to something, it's probably going to be the things I think are awesome, not necessarily the thing others would use as reference.  You'll get the hang of it.

Kick off.

Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.  Sometimes people like a link to something familiar, so I will mention he is the author of Fight Club.  I've read a few of his books, but this one holds as my favorite; perhaps because I read it first.  Seriously, give it a shot if you like a dark, twisted satire.

Velvet Goldmine directed by Todd Haynes.  It gets better every time I see it.  Christian Bale (after Swing Kids, but before Batman), Jonathan Rhys Meyers (The Tudors), Ewan McGregor (Life Less Ordinary, Shallow Grave, Trainspotting) Toni Collette (If you haven't seen her yet, you are crazy.  She's done a million awesome things.  This is after Clockwatchers and Muriel's Wedding, but before Dead Girl and United States of Tara)

No comments:

Post a Comment